Johan Geldenhuys holds graduate qualifications in English, Afrikaans, Latin and German and postgraduate qualifications in English, Afrikaans and Applied Linguistics.
He is an author, together with Dave Dykman and Bittie Viljoen-Smook, of numerous publications, including a translations handbook, an English style guide and five business dictionaries that span more than 20 years and that are generally acknowledged as the standard for the industry. Geldenhuys is regularly invited as a guest speaker at language forums and radio talk shows and are members of:
- The South African Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- The English Academy of South Africa.
- The Terminology and Other Language Resources Committee of the SA Bureau of Standards.
- The Centre for Legal Terminology in African Languages.
- The National Language Body.
Geldenhuys has 40 years' experience in writing, mentoring and adult teaching of business English as well as in the creation, development and standardisation of financial terminology.